Insurers and we are generally seeking information relevant to the incident you are reporting.  The common denominator is the involvement of a vehicle in respect of which a great deal of information is usually available.  What will you need and how can you get it?

Driver Licence Information

We no longer need to view your licence but we do need a CODE from you to enable us to approach the DVLA and confirm the data they hold for you. Please obtain the code asap and send this to us.  The process can be found at and you will need your driving licence number, National Insurance number and the postcode on your licence. 

Visit the above link and will be able to view your driving licence information. To share your driving licence with another person:

  • select the “Share your licence information” tab.
  • Click on the ‘Get a code’ button

You will now be shown a check code which is case sensitive. Pass this check code onto us with the last 8 characters of your driving licence number. The check code is valid for 21 days and can only be used once.  You can also download a summary of your driving licence by selecting ‘View, print or save your licence information’

A Purchase Receipt:


If you are unable to locate this, try to obtain evidence of the purchase or provide details of the seller. The price paid will give an indication of the condition of the vehicle at purchase and a receipt may assist to support the history by displaying, as an example, mileage.

The Registration certyificate, V5C, or 'log book':


Whilst not a 'title' document, this is an important form and insurers will likely wish to have sight of this - almost certainly if your vehicle is a total loss following a collision or theft. If you have lost it, waste no time and obtain a duplicate from the DVLA - information about the process can be found by clicking here.

An MoT:


Not a document we will press you for.  The paper 'certificate' is no more than a receipt, the history can be obtained on-line.  NEVER rely upon the paper copy, always check at .Gov.UK