Obtaining a Crime Report:

Often particularly following the theft of a vehicle, we need sight of the crime report. Unfortunately, some constabularies are less inclined to release this and to do so promptly.

A straightforward means by which YOU can acquire the report, which can then be forward to us or your insurers is by use of your Subject Access Right (SAR):

  • At no charge to you, an application can be made to the constabulary receiving the report.

  • Make on-line inquiries to locate an email address for the ‘Data Protection’ or ‘Information’ unit (CMA Contacts or Police UK are places to start) and write seeking a copy of the crime report by email (electronically)

  • You do not have to use a specific form but it will help to provide information such as your full name and address, the VRM of the vehicle, date, time and location of loss

  • The police should ask to see your identification to prove it is you who is making the request. To this end, an image (taken with a mobile phone for ease of forwarding?) of your driver licence (photo) and a recent utility bill (address) should suffice

  • The police have a calendar month* in which to provide the information

*Note: if we made the request, it can often take 40 days or more.

If the police raise any objections, please direct them to our email address and advise us by email.

It is possible we will independently seek information from the police in connection with your claim.  We are seeking your assistance to progress the claim with the minimum of delay.  We will approach the police for information but often we need your consent and irrespective, we wish to take no chances but ensure the police know data can be supplied; it helps you, the police, us and your insurers to ensure your CONSENT has been provided for information to be supplied. 

The police will not release the information to insurers, or ourselves, without your consent.  This consent is to be in a format that is consistent with an Information Sharing Agreement between the Police, Insurance Companies and Loss Adjusters.

Whilst not all insurers are party to the agreement, the National Police FOI & DP Central Referral Unit of the National Police Chiefs’ Council has written that the absence of an insurer as a signatory would not necessarily be an issue. 

They (the insurer) are still a data controller and bound by the provisions of the act which the ISA addresses. 

Provided the recipient is satisfied the request is:

1.     lawful and

2.     meets the purpose and lawful basis made out by the ISA,

they may make the decision to share. Sharing outside the terms of the ISA would need a separate determination to meet DPA’98.

Delays can result from us making a request and receiving the response.  We wish to reduce the inconvenience to you, keep delays to a minimum.  To assist with this we have attached a template CONSENT mandate:

To help in the completion of this:

  • write clearly

  • ensure your vehicle registration mark is clearly displayed – this may help to locate the crime

  • the ‘aggrieved person’ is the victim or person from whom the property was taken – usually the insured

  • the form indicates you consent to the release – if you do not, please email CMA citing your vehicle registration mark.

  • signatures – if the insured was not the person reporting the matter both parties will need to sign.

  • page 2 of the document requires you to consent to a variety of aspects common to most motor theft reports and

  • enables you to ask the police to send you a copy of the report

On this last point, if any other relevant parties were associated with the crime and may be named in the report, please ask them to complete a separate form. By providing ‘consent’ you are allowing the police to provide us with information about you in connection with the crime.  Your consent relates to your information.

You will need to make no payment, we will address this.

You may wish to restate your consent and have a record of providing this by emailing the constabulary.  Draft email text is included below - please either 'cc' the handler at CMA or send to the main email address appearing on the base of the consent form.

Dear Sirs,
Re: Vehicle Registration Mark (insert)
Crime Number: (insert)

I have made an allegation of crime in respect of the above vehicle.  I wish to restate that I have given consent for my insurer’s Loss Adjusters, Claims Management & Adjusting Ltd. to be provided a copy of the crime report.  I ask that this occur without delay and that I am advised when this has occurred.

Yours faithfully,

(insert name)

To assist you with progressing this enquiry, e-mail* contacts are provided:- click here

*please contact us if any of the links are out of date and we will address this.  Thank you.