28/08/2023 – ‘Police must investigate every theft and follow all reasonable leads to catch offenders, the home secretary has said‘ – source BBC
It appears, in the future, crime reports may have worth beyond the dates & times recorded, be more than an automatically issued crime number ‘for insurance purposes’, that some weight can be attached to a constabulary’s record.
- But what if the police do not understand what constitutes vehicle theft or how to investigate it?
We have been enquiring about police attention to the issue. It is apparent the police either do not wish to investigate an allegation of vehicle theft or do not know how / why to do so.
- 03/03/2023 DVLA advise Kent police recorded 1,099 car thefts in 2022 – data here
- 06/03/2023 Kent police – 622 car thefts in 2022, 6% recovery rate – source Kent Messenger
- 06/07/2023 Vehicle Theft – The full Freedom of Information request (FOI/00992/23) seeking the statistics (theft methodology) can be viewed here
- 21/08/2023 Kent police asked to provide a copy of the KM data (06/03/2023 report – above)
- 22/08/2023 Kent Police Lack of Attention to Car Theft
- 22/08/2023 Letter to Kent Police Chief Constable
- 25/08/2023 WMP failure to reinstate VRM on PNC LoS register
- 28/08/2023 Police must investigate every theft and follow all reasonable leads to catch offenders, the home secretary has said – source: BBC
- 29/08/2023 Braverman ‘interfering with police independence’ after crime pledge – source: Guardian